Essex Way Logo

Essex Way Relay Forum

Discussion on the Essex Way Relay

You are not logged in.

#1 30-08-2011 08:05:49

Peter West

Dogs At Bacons Farm

I believe this is a perennial problem, but it is worth highlighting it again.
On his recce last week for this leg, one of our runners was approached by three dogs barking and jumping up at him at Bacons Farm. He wanted me to warn runners about it.
I know the dogs are doing what they are trained for i.e protecting the farm, but it can be scary for runners/walkers legitimately using the PUBLIC footpath.

#2 30-08-2011 16:57:11

Robert Teer

Re: Dogs At Bacons Farm

Peter - During my Annual Essex Way Survey (I report any problems encountered to the relevant Public Rights of Way Officer) I passed through Bacon's Farm in late July and sent the following comment to Mary Moir who is in charge of Colchester Area:
'Good to see the very aggressive dog at Bacon's Farm is contained in a secure cage. I was paid very close attention there by another collie and didn't feel too comfortable though I'm generally happy around dogs'.
Mary replied:
'New collies were both found 'friendly' on a recent inspection with the aggressive dog secured away from the footpath'.
Hopefully the dogs will be inside on the day of the Relay - Mary Moir is aware of the date and usually advises landowners in her area. Otherwise, as with curious/excited horses/cattle best thing is to walk 'til past these situations.

Board footer