Essex Way Logo

Essex Way Relay Forum

Discussion on the Essex Way Relay

You are not logged in.

#1 08-04-2010 09:53:50

Andy Clarke

Green Belt Relay 2010 - 22/23 May

Apologies for gatecrashing this forum, but I am after a few runners for a team I'm putting together for the Green Belt Relay in May.

For the past 8 years, I have entered one or two teams for Thrift Green Trotters, but over the past couple of years, interest within the club has waned, and I currently have a maximum of 7 team members for the 2010 race. I therefore need people to supplement what I already have. I am even prepared to change the name of the team to Essex Trailrunners (or Trailblazers!).

The event is similar to the Essex Way relay, but is made up of 22 stages over 2 days, running in the green belt, making a circuit around London. It starts at Hampton Court Palace on the Saturday morning, and finishes on Sunday evening at the YMCA in Ham, near Kingston. It passes through Essex on Saturday evening and Sunday morning. However, all legs in Essex have already been snapped up. Full details of the race are at http://www.greenbeltrelay.org.uk

The race stages are mostly off-road, using river and canal towpaths, parts of the Essex Way and North Downs Way, and some road stretches. Instructions are a bit like a narrative trail race, but are accompanied by a map, and there are markings on the course to aid with navigation.

If you fancy this, I need you to be committed to running on both Saturday and Sunday, and it will cost £19 per team member. I only ask three things:

o - You must be free to run on both days
o - If you find that you can only run on one day, you must find a partner who can run on the other day.
o - And if you find you cannot run after all, please find a replacement, and let me know.

This message is posted on the forums of as many clubs as I could get entry to. My apologies if I've missed out any clubs - it's not intentional - but please try and spread the word among your team mates, and friends in other clubs.

Regardless of where you read this message, please respond here, as this is available to all, or email me direct.

Thanks for your time.

Cheers,

Andy Clarke
Thrift Green Trotters

#2 05-05-2010 10:06:42

Andy Clarke

Re: Green Belt Relay 2010 - 22/23 May

I still need 2 runners to complete the club's Green Belt Relay team on Saturday and Sunday 22 & 23 May - that's in just over 2 weeks!

Many of you have previously run the Essex Way and had a great day out.

Many of you have previously run the Green Belt Relay and had a great weekend out.

Many of you have just completed the London Marathon and will be wondering what to do next.

On the Saturday:
I need a runner for Leg 2 at 9:42 - 10 miles along the river Thames towpath from Staines to Boveney (nr Eton) - this is almost completely flat, and includes Windsor Great Park
I need a runner for Leg 3 at 10:40 - 11.5 miles following the Thames from Boveney to Little Marlow - again almost completely flat

On the Sunday:
I need a runner for Leg 15 at 10:40 - 9.2 miles from Dartford to Lullingstone Park in Kent. Again, this is a flat river run along the Dareth Valley path and through picturesque Kent villages
I need a runner for Leg 17 at 12:54 - 10.5 miles practically downhill from Tatsfield to Merstham. You will be running through Kent countryside across fields and along lanes.

All four of the vacant legs are thoroughly enjoyable in fantastic scenery, and none of them is demanding, other than the distance. If you have run the London Marathon, you can do any of these while your legs are still used to running distance.

Ideally, I'd like you to consider running on both days, but if you only manage one day, that's OK. It will make the team result look better! Oh yes, I'm happy to complete the team, regardless of your speed!

Visit the relay website for full details: http://www.greenbeltrelay.org.uk

Many thanks,

Andy Clarke

#3 13-05-2010 14:16:15

Andy Clarke

UPDATE

I now only need one runner to run one leg - leg 3 - at 10:40 on Saturday 22 May from Boveney (near Eton) to Little Marlow. The route is almost all on the river Thames towpath and is almost completely flat.

Any takers?

Cheers,

Andy

#4 20-05-2010 15:36:22

Andy Clarke

Last minute, desperate hopeful, attempt to fill my team ...

Due to injury and last-minute drop-outs, I am short of runners as follows:

Saturday
Leg 3: 10:40am Boveney (nr Eton) 11 miles to Little Marlow (flat almost entirely following the river Thames towpath)
Leg 5: 12:53pm Great Kingshill 13.8 miles to Chipperfield (very hilly)
Leg 7: 2:56pm St Albans 12.2 miles to Letty Green (mostly flat, from memory - along lanes and old railway line)

Sunday
Leg 18: 1:53pm Merstham (on A23, below M25) 8.9 miles to Box Hill (undulating along top of North Downs)

Even if you are only available on one of the days, I'd be most grateful.

Cheers,

Andy

Board footer